We are celebrating 21 years of Atjazz's seminal album "Labfunk" including 4 new songs. Two full songs that never made it onto the original release due to space on vinyl & CD and 2 remixes from Atjazz (Touch The Sun) and Peacey (Heavy Weather).
Labfunk was released in 2001 and was the 2nd artist/producer album from Atjazz.
••• "I took what I knew of the underground world of future jazz & deep-house and created a scientific blend of both and conjured up what now has become a classic album 21 years later"
This is a chance to have the only limited pressing re-issue of Labfunk that will ever exist. Featuring updated artwork which nods to the original designs and will now be pressed onto 3x 12" slices of Vinyl to accommodate even more music.
••• "An album that was musically way ahead of its time on its release and still sounding fresh 21 years later"
••• "We now take for granted a diverse scope of beats and textures when it comes to music with soul, but back then, this created new pathways. Atjazz brought sophistication, musicianship and production values to create a unique sound that feels fresh to this day." -
Review from BPM Magazine / DJMixed.com
Martin Iveson has the art of folding jazz into warm house and other electronic beats, down to an art. Labfunk immerses the listener in a graceful nu-jazz world of syncopated bossa beats, and multi-layered harmonies. Iveson’s melodic tinkering gives rise to harmonious textures and organic instrumentation that, as the title suggests, is an ingenious concoction – part studio fabricated, part jazz derived. Clubs, lounges, and your place of dwelling can all groove with equal comfort to the exceptional sounds of Atjazz. The beauty of the album is that you can drop the needle at any point and be assured of a sublime experience. The collaboration with jazz musician Peter Wraight throughout adds an essential dimension, resulting in a sensual meeting between man and machine that defines the Atjazz sound. Plucky basslines are tempered by layers of smooth horns on "All That" and by velvety vocals on "Day 2001", while "Harmony" maintains a delicious groove that allows for soulful vocals to drift over droplets of uplifting sound. Tired of the world? Labfunk transports you into an alternate reality where the inhabitants are friendlier, the climate warmer, and the colors more vivid. Yum.
Fan Reviews from Amazon
• "I bought this album a few years ago, and it's become a staple. Jazzy house, ambient, Balearic, electro, melodic, dance - call it what you will. Just outstanding music in my opinion. I only wish there was more like it." - Amazon Review
• "This is definitely one of the best CD's I bought this year! The sophisticated mixture of Broken Beat, Nujazz and smooth vocalising makes the cd a must-have if you're into laid back cool and groovy tracks on your stereo!!" - Amazon Review
• "It seems like such a simple equation but it must be more difficult than we think since so few artists can calculate the answer correctly. Fortunately for us, Atjazz found the proper solution. Nice house/broken beat (I hate sub-genres) fused with jazz elements that reach back through time and tap Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock for inspiration." - Amazon Review
• "It's a straight line from Lonnie Liston Smith circa 1974 via Herbie Hancock circa 1983, with an intention to make you dance thrown in. Simply incredible. And his basslines are punchy and exacting. A must-have." - Amazon Review
• "The liner notes speak for itself. This album has an attitude to it. Breakbeat, House, Downtempo, and Jazz equate to Labfunk being a well pieced together free-flowing form which echoes a throwback to the 70s with plenty of funk included." - Amazon Review
• "Just discovered Atjazz a few months back and I'll I can say is wow. This music is awesome, totally puts you into a different state of mind and chill." - Amazon Review
Est. 2009. independent record label based in the midlands of the United Kingdom. Martin has been managing record labels and music studios since 1995 and has endured the music industry through its many changes.
Atjazz Record Company is revered for being forward-thinking, offering a concrete platform for emerging talent & supporting its existing artists through their careers.